Up one level 2004.august » Ireland

Ireland
The effects of Empty Nest Syndrome are powerful indeed. My sister, having graduated college earlier in the summer, had a three week gap between her summer employment and a year-long stint teaching in Ecuador. In fear, and seeing an opportunity, my parents figured out they could get time with me as well for a trip -- and the next thing I knew, there was a receipt for a vacation in Ireland. We flew in to the west coast -- Shannon Airport -- with reservations for a rental car, hotels on the first and last night of the trip, vouchers for nights in B&Bs, and flights out of Dublin (the east coast) 10 days later. It was a great trip.

Previous page Next page 33-64 (of 72 found)
DSCF0035 The long building is the Old Library whose primary function now is as the home of the Book of Kells.  It also has a lovely giant hall, home to more than a quarter million old books, arranged in two floors of shelf after shelf (and not a trace of the Dewey Decimal system, from what I could tell).  My sister and I took a Walking History tour of Dublin that started here (that's the group, the salt-and-pepper speaker our Guide, DSCF0036 On the tour, standing at the old Parliment building, which was sold to and is still in active use by, the Bank of Ireland.  This gentleman, from what I could tell, was /not/ an actor, as we have in Boston... this just seemed to be his sense of proper attire. DSCF0037 Atmosphere shot of what the streets of Dublin felt like. DSCF0038 Church of Jesus Christ.  One of the two big churches in Dublin that were restored by the major alcohol industry (this one by one of the major Whisky families, the other from the Guiness family). DSCF0039 Another shot of the Church.  Yes, this side has a different architectural style -- the stuff on the right was of the original, 500+ years before the other half was financed. DSCF0040 Mix of historic with signs of construction, still in Dublin. DSCF0262 Grafton Street, Dublin's premier shopping district, very Faneuil Hall. 1 of 3. DSCF0263 2 of 3.  I stood in place and rotated along the three main directions presenting themselves. DSCF0264 3 of 3.  All the lonely people... DSCF0265 Through the center of the city, like most cities established before planes and trains, runs a river.  This is the River Liffey.  1 of 2. DSCF0266 2 of 2.  The River runs East-West.  South of the river are the historic and cultural areas -- Dublin Castle, Trinity College, Temple Bar.  To the north is where everyone actually lives. DSCF0267 Pigeon pays his respects to a Statute.  A story told throughout time. DSCF0268 On the block of the Guiness brewery, I encountered an unexpected bit of smoke-and-mirrors... err, the Media Lab.  Across the street from the brewery, a high-tech incubator and tech-park.  Either this is a result of cheap warehousing space with modern ammenities, or close quarters to the Source.  Probably both. DSCF0269 We took a daytrip from Dublin to see Knowth and Newgrange.  On the path to Knowth. DSCF0270 The mounds of Knowth, superficially excavated and restored. DSCF0271 Mixing the information desk with ancient mounds. DSCF0272 Modern mixed-use structure, meet your ancient cousins: artificial hills that doubled as burial chambers. DSCF0273 Into each hill, there is an entrance (or two).  These are almost 5000 years old -- some older.  Still servicable. DSCF0274 Around the hills, decorated stones.  While they are now covered with a concrete overhang, these used to be prominently out, flanking the hill.  The environment had its way with the designs, and that they are still so high-relief is impressive. DSCF0275 The white stones were from 50 miles south, the big stones, 50 miles north.  Why not? DSCF0276 This is a shot from on top of Knowth. DSCF0277 From the top of Knowth.  At least three distinct groups of people, hundreds of years apart, came to build a town on top of the hill.  We can only imagine the suprise of the 1200 Christians who, on digging a set of moats around their hill, discovered decorated entrances /into it/. DSCF0278 Of course, cows. DSCF0279 Green fake hills, cows, woods, clouds... it was all very lovely. DSCF0280 Another attempt at the shot. DSCF0281 We weren't allowed entrance into either of the passageways within Knowth. DSCF0282 The modern bridge design toward the very new Newgrange/Knowth Visitor Information Center seems somewhat out of place. DSCF0283 Newgrange.  They don't know how many smaller mounds surrounded a major mound like Newgrange... how many have been destroyed over time, how many have just not yet been found.  However, in this day and age, regardless of how superstituous you are -- you don't mess with them, even if it inconveniences your farming. DSCF0284 DSCF0285 ...or grazing. DSCF0286 Around Newgrange, individual standing stones.  There is quite a lot that not only do they not know... there is essentially know chance they ever will know. DSCF0287 Newgrange made me reflective...
Page 2 of 3 Next page

Valid XHTML 1.0! valid CSS!