You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully. // "You are inside a building, a well house for a large spring. Off" to one side is a small storeroom. // "You are in an open forest, with a deep valley to one side. Not far off" is a large billboard. // You are in a valley in a forest beside a stream tumbling along a rocky bed. // At your feet all the water of the stream splashes into a tiny slit in the rock. Downstream the streambed is bare rock. //q You are in an open forest near both a valley and a road. // "You have walked up a hill, still in the forest. A road slopes back" down the other side of the hill. There is a building in the distance. // You are in a 20-foot depression floored with bare dirt. Set into the dirt is a strong steel grate embedded in concrete. A dry streambed leads into the depression. // You are in a small chamber beneath a 3X3 steel grate to the surface. A low crawl over cobbles leads inward to the west. // You are crawling over cobbles in a low passage. There is a dim light at the east end of the passage. // You are in a small chamber lit by an eerie green light. An extremely tight tunnel heads west. A dark corridor leads NE. // "You are in a north/south canyon about 25 feet across. The floor is covered by white mist seeping in from the north. The walls extend upward for well over 100 feet. Suspended from some unseen point far above you, an enormous two-sided mirror is hanging parallel to and midway between the canyon walls. (The mirror is obviously provided for the use of the dwarves, who as you know are extremely vain.) A small window can be seen in either wall, some fifty feet up." // "You are in a splendid chamber thirty feet high. The walls are frozen rivers of orange stone. An awkward canyon and a good passage exit frome east and west sides of the chamber." // "At your feet is a small pit breathing traces of white mist. An east passage endshere except for a small crack leading on." // "You are at one end of a vast hall stretching forward out of sight to the west. There are openings to either side. Nearby a wide stone staircase leads downward.The hall is filled with wisps of white mist swaying to and fro almost as if alive. A cold wind blows up the staircase. There is a passage at the top of a dome behind you." // "This is a low room with a crude note on the wall. The note says," 'YOU WON'T GET IT UP THE STEPS' // You are on the east bank of a fissure slicing clear across the hall. "The mist is quite thick here, and the fissure is too wide to jump." // You are at West end of Hall of Mists. A low tight crawl continues west and another goes north. To the south is a little passage 6 feet off the floor. // You are in a secret canyon which here runs E/W. It crosses over a very tight canyon 15 feet below. If you go down you may not be able to get back up. // You are at the west end of a very long featureless hall. The hall joins up with a narrow N/S passage. // "You are in a secret canyon at a junction of three secret canyons," "bearing north, south and SE. The north one is as tall as the other" two combined. // A large stalactite extends from the roof and almost reaches the floor "below. You could climb down it, and jump from it to the floor, but" having done so you would not be able to reach it to climb back up. // "You are in the Hall of the Mountain King, with passages off" in all directions. // You are in an alcove. A small nw path seems to widen after a short distance. An extremely tight tunnel leads east. It looks like a very tight squeeze. An eerie light can be seen at the other end. // "You are in a large room with a passage to the south, a passage" "to the west, and a wall of broken rock to the east. There is a large" 'y2' on a rock in the room's center. // You are at the edge of a large underground reservoir. An opaque cloud of white mist fills the room and rises rapidly upward. The lake is fed "by a stream, which tumbles out of a hole in the wall about 100 feet" overhead and splashes noisily into the water somewhere within the mist. The only passage goes back toward the south. // You are in an arched hall. A coral passage once continued up and east "from here, but is now blocked by debris. The air smells of sea water." Your footsteps echo hollowly throughout the chamber. // You are in an arched hall. The remnants of a now-plugged coral "passage lie to the east. The north wall has partially crumbled," exposing a large connecting hole to another room. // You are at the east end of a very long hall apparently without side chambers. In the south wall are several wide cracks and a high "hole, but the hole is far above your head. To the east a wide" crawl slants up. To the north a round two-foot hole slants down. // You are in a dirty broken passage. To the east is a crawl. To the west is a large passage. Above you is a hole to another passage. // "You are at a low window overlooking a huge pit, which extends up out" of sight. A floor is indistinctly visible over 50 feet below. Traces "of white mist cover the floor of the pit, becoming thicker to the right." Marks in the dust would seem to indicate that someone has been here recently. Directly across the pit from you and 25 feet away there is a similar window looking into a lighted room. A shadowy figure can be seen there peering back at you. // You are in a large room full of dusty rocks. There is a big hole in "the floor. There are cracks everywhere, and a passage leading east." // You are at a complex junction. A low hands and knees crawl from the north joins a higher crawl from the east to make a walking passage going west. There is alsoa large room above. The air is damp here. // You are in a room whose walls resemble swiss cheese. Obvious passages go "west, east, ne and nw. Part of the room is occupied by a large" bedrock block. // "You are in the soft room. The walls are covered with heavy curtains," the floor with a thick pile carpet. Moss covers the ceiling. // This is the Oriental room. Ancient oriental cave drawings cover the "walls. A gently sloping passage leads upward to the north, another" "passage goes SE, and a hands and knees crawl leads east." // You are at the east end of the twopit room. The floor is littered with thin rockslabs which make it easy to descend the pits. There is a path here bypassing thepits to connect passages from east and west. "There are holes all over, but the only big one is on the west wall" directly over the pit where you can't get to it. // You are at the west end of the twopit room. There is a large hole in the wall above the pit at this end of the room. // You are at the bottom of the eastern pit in the twopit room. There is a small pool of oil in one corner of the pit. // You are at the bottom of the eastern pit in the twopit room. // You are at the bottom of the western pit in the twopit room. There is a large hole in the wall about 25 feet above you. // You are in a large low circular chamber whose floor is an immense slab fallen from the ceiling (slab room). East and west there once were "large passages, but they are now filled with boulders. Low small" "passages go north and south, and the south one quickly bends" west around the boulders. // You are in a long narrow corridor stretching out of sight to the west. At the eastern end is a hole through which you can see a profusion of leaves. // You are in the Giant Room. The ceiling here is too high up for your "lamp to show it. Cavernous passages lead east, north and south." "On the west wall is scrawled the inscription, 'FEE FIE FOE FOO [sic]'" // You are in the Dark-Room. A passage leading south is the only exit. // "You are in a magnificent cavern with a rushing stream, which" cascades over a sparkling waterfall into a whirlpool which disappears through a hole in the floor. Passages exit to the south and west. // You are at the top of a steep incline above a large room. If you go down you may not be able to get back up. There is a passage leading back to the north. // You are at the brink of a thirty-foot pit with a massive orange column down one wall. If you go down you will not be able to get back up. The maze continues at this level. // You are in a debris room filled with stuff washed in from the surface. A low wide passage becomes plugged with mud and debris "here, but an awkward canyon leads upward and west. A note on" "the wall says, 'MAGIC WORD XYZZY'" // You are following a wide path around the outer edge of a large cavern. "Far below, through a heavy white mist, strange splashing noises" "can be heard. The path hugs the cavern's rim to the NE and south," while another branch forks west. A round chute with extremely smooth walls angles sharply up to the southwest. // You are in a long winding corridor sloping out of sight in both directions. // You are on one side of a large deep chasm. A heavy mist obscures all view of thefar side. A SW path leads away from the chasm into a winding corridor. // You are on the far side of the chasm. A ne path leads away from the chasm on this side. // You are in a long east/west corridor. A faint rumbling noise can be heard in the distance. // The path forks here. The left fork leads northeast. A dull rumbling seems to getlouder in that direction. The right fork leads SE down a gentle slope. The main corridor enters from the west. // You are in a small chamber filled with large boulders. The walls are "very warm, causing the air in the room to be almost stifling from" "the heat. The only exit is a crawl heading west, through which is" coming a low rumbling. // You are walking along a gently sloping north/south passage lined with oddly-shaped limestone formations. // You are standing at the entrance to a large barren room. A sign "posted above the entrance reads, 'Caution! Bear in room!'" // "You are on the edge of a breath-taking view. Far below you is an" "active volcano, from which great gouts of molten lava come surging" "out, cascading back down into the depths. The glowing rock fills the" "farthest reaches of the cavern with a blood-red glare, giving every-" "thing an eerie, macabre appearance. The air is filled with flickering" sparks of ash and a heavy smell of brimstone. The walls are hot to "the touch, and the thundering of the volcano drowns out all other" sounds. Embedded in the jagged roof far overhead are myriad twisted "formations composed of pure white alabaster, which scatter the murky" light into sinister apparitionsupon the walls. To one side is a deep "gorge, filled with a bizarre chaos of tortured rock which seems to" have been crafted by the devil himself. An immense river of fire "crashes out from the depths of the volcano, burns its way through the" "gorge, and plummets into a bottomless pit far off to your left. To" "the right, an immense geyser of blistering steam erupts continuously" "from a barren island in the center of a sulfurous lake, which bubbles" ominously. The far right wall is aflame with an incandescence of its "own, which lends an additional infernal splendor to the already" "hellish scene. A dark, foreboding passage exits to the south." // The walls are quite warm here. From the north can be heard a steady "roar, so loud that the entire cave seems to be trembling. Another" "passage leads south, and a low crawl goes east." // You are inside a barren room. The center of the room is completely empty except for some dust. Marks in the dust lead away toward the far end of the room. The only exit is the way you came in. // You are in a large room carved out of sedimentary rock. The floor and walls are littered with bits of shells embedded in the sand. A shallow passage "proceeds downward, and a somewhat steeper one leads up. A low hands" and knees passage enters from the south. // You are in an anteroom leading to a large passage to the east. Small passages gowest and up. The remnants of recent digging are evident. "A sign posted in midairhere reads, 'Cave under construction beyond" this point. Proceed at own risk. [Witt construction company]' // You're at Witt's End. Passages lead off in *all* directions. // "You are at a low window overlooking a huge pit, which extends up out" of sight. A floor is indistinctly visible over 50 feet below. Traces "of white mist cover the floor of the pit, becoming thicker to the left." Marks in the dust would seem to indicate that someone has been here recently. Directly across the pit from you and 25 feet away there is a similar window looking into a lighted room. A shadowy figure can be seen there peering back at you. // You're in a flat circular clearing surrounded by dense forest. Not far away is a helicopter. Its engine is idling slowly. Several jac-booted orcs are standing guard around the aircraft. // You are standing behind a large billboard on a ridge above a deep "valley. To the north, the forest gives way to dense swamp and" "then to open flatlands. Far beyond, the land rises sharply towards" the impassible Misty Mountains. Nestled at the base of a distant cliff are the stone turrets of a tall white castle. // "You are in dense forest, with a hill to one side. The trees appear" to thin out towards the north and east. // "You are in hilly forest, but northward the land flattens out" and grows swampy. To the south and east is a heavily wooded ridge of low hills. // "You are in a dark, murky swamp. However, the deep foliage" seems to thin out towards the south and southwest. There is a faint smell of brackish salt water in the air. // You are at the edge of a trackless salt marsh. Tall reeds obscure the view. In the mud is the partial word "-RO--O". The missing letters have been washed away by the tide. // "You're at the edge of a great forest. To the north lies dark," ominous swampland. // Dense swamp surrounds you. Dim sunlight filters through the foliage; all directions look alike. // "You are at the high point of a wide grassy knoll, partially surrounded" "by dense forest. The land rises to the south and east, and drops off" sharply to the north and west. The air smells of sea water. // You're on a sandy beach at the edge of the open sea. The beach "stretches out of sight to the south. To the north, the beach ends" in cliffs and blackened shoals. // You are at a jumble of large broken rocks and blackened shoals. A gentle path leads up to the top of the nearby cliffs. A narrow treacherous path disappears among the rocks at the foot of the cliff. // You are on a high cliff overlooking the sea. Far below the rolling breakers smash into a jumble of blackened shoals. The thunder of the surf is deafening. // "You are at Thunder Hole, a funnel-shaped cavern opening onto the sea." The noise of the surf pounding against the outer rocks of the cave is "amplified by the peculiar shape of the cave, causing a thunder-like" "booming sound to reverberate throughout the cave. Outside, a narrow" path leads towards some large rocks. // You are in a dimly lit passage beyond Thunder Hole. Etched into the rock wall are the ominous words: " " " You are approaching the Forbidden River." " Lasciate Ogni Speranza Voi Ch'Entrate." // "You are in the midst of a great, grey-green, greasy swamp, all" set about with fever trees. // You are at the edge of an open area of wet sand. The dense foliage appears to grow thinner towards the northeast. A small sign stuck in the muck reads: "Site of Proposed Municipal Parking "Lot -- D.M. Witt, Contractor."" " // You are in an open area near the edge of the swamp. The ground near you appears to have been paved with concrete. // You are in the helicopter's cramped passenger cabin. The only visible feature is a silver button on the wall. // "You are in the West Courtyard, a wide flat area bounded on the north" by a high cliff and on the south and west by the curve of the castle wall. // You are at the base of the central portion of the courtyard near what appears to be some sort of large wooden door in the stone wall. Attached to the wall is a heavy winch. // You are beside an old dry well in the East Courtyard of a great castle built against the southern face of an unscalable granite cliff. On your left an impregnable wall of gleaming white stone encompasses the entire court and castle in a half-moon shaped curve "which meets the cliff at either end. To your right, across the" "steeply rising courtyard, is Lords' Keep, the heart of the castle." // You are at the entrance to Lords' Keep. A massive door of solid oak guards the castle entrance. In the center of the door is a small slot. // "You are inside Lords' Keep, at the south end of the Great hall." The room is lit by smokey torches hung high overhead. Several passages lead off to connecting rooms. // You are at the foot of a wide ascending staircase at the north "end of the Great Hall. On either side of the staircase, hallways" continue north at this level. // You are in a gloomy north/south hallway on the east side of the castle. An entrance in the west wall leads to a small sunlit room. // You are in a long north/south hallway on the west side of the castle. A short westerly passage leads to an apparent dead end. // The short hallway ends at a heavy steel door inlaid with enamelled "tiles, each of which is a different color. The tiles, nine in all," "are arranged in a 3x3 grid, thusly:" I--------------------------------------I I Red I Silver I Fuschia I I------------I------------I------------I I Gold I Dun I White I I------------I------------I------------I I Orange I Nacre I Black I I--------------------------------------I // You are inside a large steel vault. // You are in a small room off the east hallway. Through a heavily barred window you can look out on a lovely secret garden. // "You are in the Aviary, where in days long gone the Royal" Falconer kept and trained the King's hunting hawks. // You are in the Kitchen. Built into one wall is a narrow floor-to- ceiling cabinet. // You are on a narrow N/S ridge high above a stone wall and wide moat. // You are at the northwest end of a narrow ridge high above the castle's inner courtyard. // You are on a ledge about halfway up the cliff. The upper part of the cliff seems unclimbable. // You're in an open field on the south side of a deep ravine. South and west the land is an almost impassable swamp. To the west the ravine merges with the swamp; some distance to the east it ends abruptly at the foot of a sheer granite cliff. A dry drainage pipe six inches in diameter emerges from the base of the cliff just above the floor of the ravine. // You're in an open field on the south side of a flooded ravine. South and west the land merges into nearly impassable swamp. In "the muck is a fresh footprint! Incredibly, it looks very" "much like that of a Giant Devonian Rat, long thought extinct." // You are at the foot of a towering cliff. The sheer rock face is partially obscured by thick vines growing up the cliff. // "You are at the east end of a steep ravine, near where a drainage" pipe emerges from a rock wall. // You are at the western end of the ravine's floor. The ground ahead looks wet and treacherous. // "You're on the south end of a high narrow ridge, which is bounded" on its east side by a high mountain. Dug into the mountainside is a ramshackle old mine entrance. The ridge drops off to the west "in a rocky cliff. You might be able to climb down the cliff, but" you probably won't be able to get back up. // "You are in a gloomy tunnel, the entrance to a long-abandoned mine." "All around is fallen rock and rotted timbers. To your left, a" small room adjoins the main tunnel. // You are in the engineering room. On a control panel on the wall "are four buttons, colored green, brown, red and yellow; and a" digital gauge. // You are in a very steeply angled tunnel. // "You are at the bottom of the mine's main shaft. Several passages," "now all blocked by cave-ins, used to lead off in all directions." "To the north, the one remaining tunnel is partially blocked." // You are in a dead-end shaft formerly used for temporary storage. // ******* THIS SPACE RESERVED FOR SECRET GARDEN ******* // ******* THIS SPACE RESERVED FOR ABOVE-GROUND ROOM NOT YET FOUND ******* // ******* THIS SPACE RESERVED FOR ABOVE-GROUND ROOM NOT YET FOUND ******* // You are in the private chamber of the Mountain King. Hewn into the solid rock of the east wall of the chamber is an intricately-wrought throne of elven design. There is an exit to the west. // You are in the east side of the throne room. On the arm of the throne has been hung a sign which reads "Gone for the day: visiting sick snake. --M.K." // You are looking west from the end of a short E/W corridor. At your feet is a pile of loose rubble. On your left is a hole into another chamber. // You are in a room the size and shape of a small crypt. A narrow cut exits east. There is a hole in the floor. // "You're on top of an enormous, broad stalagmite. There is a hole" in the ceiling overhead. // You are in a high-vaulted cavern whose roof rises over fifty meters to culminate in a series of pointed arches directly over "your head. There are also two low arches to either side, forming" side portals. The whole effect is that of a gothic cathedral. // "You are in the Gothic Chapel, a small chamber adjoining the Gothic" Cathedral. // You are in a dull N/S passage beside a tall black rock. On the rock "is chiseled the outline of a four-leafed clover, under which is the" inscription: "Notice: This rock fabricated from ersatz materials." Smoke rings curl upward from the rock. // You're in the Cloakroom. This is where the dreaded Wumpus repairs to sleep off heavy meals. (Adventurers are his favorite dinner!) Two very narrow passages exit NW and NE. // ******* THIS SPACE RESERVED FOR CAVE ROOM NOT YET FOUND ******* // ******* THIS SPACE RESERVED FOR CAVE ROOM NOT YET FOUND ******* // "You're at Dante's Rest, on the north side of a yawning dark chasm." A passage continues west along the chasm's edge. // "You're at the Devil's Chair, a large crystallization shaped like a" "seat, at the edge of a black abyss. You can't see the bottom." An upward path leads away from the abyss. // You're in the Rotunda. Corridors radiate in all directions. There is a telephone booth standing against the north wall. // "You are in the Conservatory, whence the gnomes often repair to" relax with a little music. On one side of the room is an old upright piano. // "You are in a star-shaped chamber. Passages exit north, east, south," and west. // You are in a tight north/south crawl through a stratum of red colored rock. The air is damp with mist. // You are in a level E/W passage partially blocked by an overhanging "tongue of rock. A steep scramble would take you up over the tongue," whence continues an upward crawl. There is a small hole in the north wall of the passage. // You are in the Bat Cave. The ceiling and tops of the walls are "covered with sleeping bats. The floor is buried by a mass of dry," foul-smelling guano. The stench is overpowering. Exits to the NW and east. // You are at a high rock on the NE side of a watery chamber at the mouth of a small brook. An unknown gas bubbles up through the water from the chamber floor. A bluish light can be seen to the southwest. // "You are in the Hall of Ice, in the deepest part of the caverns." "During winter, frigid outside air settles here, making this room" extremely cold all year round. The walls and ceilings are covered with a thick coating of ice. An upward passage exits to the west. // "You are in the Fairy Grotto. All around you innumerable stalactites," "arranged in immense colonnades, form elegant arches. On every side" "you hear the dripping of water, like the footsteps of a thousand" fairies. A small stream runs from the SW corner. A bright glow "emanates from the south side of the grotto, and a steep passage" descends to the east. // "You are in a low, wide room below another chamber. A small green" pond fills the center of the room. The lake is apparently spring- fed. There is a narrow passage to the north. // You are in the Crystaal Palace. An over head vein of phosphorescent quartz casts a luminous glow which is reflected by countless chips of "mica embedded in both walls, which consist of some sort of highly" "reflective glass, apparently of volcanic origin. A winding path" of yellow sandstone leads west and rises steeply to the east. // You are in a very tall chamber whose walls are comprised of many different rock strata. Layers of red and yellow sandstone intertwine with bright bands of calcareous limestone in a rainbow- "like profusion of color. The rainbow effect is so real, you" are almost tempted to look for a pot of gold! Poised far over "your head, a gigantic slab, wedged tightly between the north and" "south walls, forms a natural bridge across the roof of the chamber." // "You are at a niche in a canyon wall, far above a raging river." "The air is filled with mist and spray, making it difficult to see" ahead. An E/W sloping ledge hugging the canyon's rim narrows to the east. A wide crack in the canyon wall leads north and quickly bends around to the left. // You are standing on a large flat rock table at the western end of "Lost River Canyon. Beneath your feet, the river disappears amidst" foam and spray into a large sinkhole. A gentle path leads east along the river's south shore. Another leads sharply upward along the river's north side. // "You are in a tall canyon on the south side of a swift, wide river." Written in the mud in crude letters are the words: "You Have Found Lost River." A wide path leads west along the bank. A tight crawlway would take you out of the canyon. // You are on the eastern shore of the Blue Grotto. An ascending tunnel disappears into the darkness to the SE. // You are at the western tip of the Blue Grotto. A large lake almost "covers the cavern floor, except for where you are standing. Small" holes high in the rock wall to the east admit a dim light. The reflection of the light from the water suffuses the cavern with a hazy bluish glow. // You are on the western shore of an underground sea. The way west is through a wrought-iron door. // You are standing in a telephone booth at the side of a large chamber. Hung on the wall is a banged-up pay telephone of ancient design. // "You are at a niche in the canyon wall, far above a raging river." "The air is filled with mist and spray, making it difficult to see" ahead. An E/W sloping ledge hugging the canyon's rim narrows to the east. A wide crack in the canyon wall leads north and quickly bends around to the left. // You are on a ledge above limestone pinnacles. "An attempt to climb down could be dangerous, if you get my *point*!" // You are at limestone pinnacles. // "You are in the Winery, a cool dark room which extends some" distance off to the east. // You are in a dry spillway off the winery. // You are in a dry basin. // You are at the nothern edge of a dark cove. // "You are on a narrow promontory at the foot of a waterfall, which" spurts from an overhead hole in the rock wall and splashes into a "large reservoir, sending up clouds of mist and spray." There is a narrow chimney on the east side of the promontory. "Through the thick white mist looms a polished marble slab, to" which is affixed an enormous rusty iron anvil. In golden letters are written the words: "Whoso Pulleth Out This Sword of This Stone and Anvil; is Rightwise King-Born of All This Mountain." // You are on a narrow shelf above and east of the top of a very steep chimney. A long smooth granite slide curves out of sight "to the east. If you go down the slide, you may not be able to" climb back up. //