52 It misses! 53 It gets you! 54 Ok 55 You can't unlock the keys. 56 You have crawled around in some little holes and wound up back in the 56 main passage. 57 I don't know where the cave is, but hereabouts no stream can run on 57 the surface for long. I would try the stream. 58 I need more detailed instructions to do that. 59 I can only tell you what you see as you move about and manipulate 59 things. I cannot tell you where remote things are. 60 I can't make any sense out of that. 61 What? 62 Are you trying to get into the cave? 63 The grate is very solid and has a hardened steel lock. You cannot 63 enter without a key, and there are no keys nearby. I would recommend 63 looking elsewhere for the keys. 64 The trees of the forest are large hardwood oak and maple, with an 64 occasional grove of pine or spruce. There is quite a bit of under- 64 growth, largely birch and ash saplings plus nondescript bushes of 64 various sorts. This time of year visibility is quite restricted by 64 all the leaves, but travel is quite easy if you detour around the 64 spruce and berry bushes. 65 Welcome to ADVENTURE!! Would you like instructions? 66 Digging without a shovel is quite impractical. Even with a shovel 66 progress is unlikely. 67 Blasting requires dynamite. 68 I'm as confused as you are. 69 Mist is a white vapor, usually water, seen from time to time in 69 caverns. It can be found anywhere but is frequently a sign of a deep 69 pit leading down to water. 70 Your feet are now wet. 71 I think I just lost my appetite. 72 Thank you, it was delicious! 73 You have taken a drink from the stream. The water tastes strongly of 73 minerals, but is not unpleasant. It is extremely cold. 74 The bottle is now empty. 75 Rubbing the electric lamp is not particularly rewarding. Anyway, 75 nothing exciting happens. 76 Peculiar. Nothing unexpected happens. 77 Your bottle is empty and the ground is wet. 78 You can't pour that. 79 Watch it! 80 Which way? 81 Oh dear, you seem to have gotten yourself killed. I might be able to 81 help you out, but I've never really done this before. Do you want me 81 to try to reincarnate you? 82 All right. But don't blame me if something goes wr...... 82 * --- POOF!! --- * 82 You are engulfed in a cloud of orange smoke. Coughing and gasping, 82 you emerge from the smoke and find.... 83 You clumsy oaf, you've done it again! I don't know how long I can 83 keep this up. Do you want me to try reincarnating you again? 84 Okay, now where did I put my orange smoke?.... >POOF!< 84 Everything disappears in a dense cloud of orange smoke. 85 Now you've really done it! I'm out of orange smoke! You don't expect 85 me to do a decent reincarnation without any orange smoke, do you? 86 Okay, if you're so smart, do it yourself! I'm leaving! 90 >>> Messages 81 thru 90 are reserved for "Obituaries". <<< 91 Sorry, but I no longer seem to remember how it was you got here. 92 It's too heavy. You'll have to drop something first. 93 You can't go through a locked steel grate! 94 I believe what you want is right here with you. 95 You don't fit through a two-inch slit! 96 I respectfully suggest you go across the bridge instead of jumping. 97 There is no way across the fissure. 98 You're not carrying anything. 99 You are currently holding the following: 100 It's not hungry (it's merely pinin' for the fjords). Besides, you 100 have no bird seed. 101 The snake has now devoured your bird. 102 There's nothing here it wants to eat (except perhaps you). 103 You fool, dwarves eat only coal! Now you've made him *REALLY* mad!! 104 Your cask is empty and the ground is soaked. 105 You aren't carrying them! 106 I don't need to, thank you. 107 The ground is wet and the air is smelly. 108 Your lamp is now on, but the glare from the walls is absolutely 108 blinding. If you proceed you are likely to fall into a pit. 109 You haven't any matches. 110 Don't be ridiculous! 111 The door is extremely rusty and refuses to open. 112 The plant indignantly shakes dry its leaves and asks, "Water?" 113 The hinges are quite thoroughly rusted now and won't budge. 114 The oil has freed up the hinges so that the door will now move, 114 although it requires some effort. 115 The plant has exceptionally deep roots and cannot be pulled free. 116 The dwarves' knives vanish as they strike the walls of the cave. 117 Something you're carrying won't fit through the tunnel with you. 117 You'd best take inventory and drop something. 118 You can't fit this five-foot clam through that little passage! 119 You can't fit this five-foot oyster through that little passage! 120 I advise you to put down the clam before opening it. >Strain!< 121 I advise you to put down the oyster before opening it. >Wrench!< 122 You don't have anything strong enough to open the clam. 123 You don't have anything strong enough to open the oyster. 124 A glistening pearl falls out of the clam and rolls away. Goodness, 124 this must really be an oyster. (I never was very good at identifying 124 bivalves.) Whatever it is, it has now snapped shut again. 125 The oyster creaks open, revealing nothing but oyster inside. It 125 promptly snaps shut again. 126 You have crawled around in some little holes and found your way 126 blocked by a recent cave-in. You are now back in the main passage. 127 There are faint rustling noises from the darkness behind you. 128 Out from the shadows behind you pounces a bearded pirate! "Har, har," 128 he chortles, "I'll just take all this booty and hide it away with me 128 chest deep in the maze!" He snatches your treasure and vanishes into 128 the gloom. 129 A sepulchral voice reverberating through the cave, says, "Cave closing 129 soon. All adventurers exit immediately through Main Office." 130 A mysterious recorded voice groans into life and announces: 130 "This exit is closed. Please leave via Main Office." 131 It looks as though you're dead. Well, seeing as how it's so close to 131 closing time anyway, I think we'll just call it a day. 132 The sepulchral voice entones, "The cave is now closed." As the echoes 132 fade, there is a blinding flash of light (and a small puff of orange 132 smoke). . . . As your eyes refocus, you look around and find... 133 There is a loud explosion, and a twenty-foot hole appears in the far 133 wall, burying the dwarves in the rubble. You march through the hole 133 and find yourself in the Main Office, where a cheering band of 133 friendly elves carry the conquering adventurer off into the sunset. 134 There is a loud explosion, and a twenty-foot hole appears in the far 134 wall, burying the snakes in the rubble. A river of molten lava pours 134 in through the hole, destroying everything in its path, including you! 135 There is a loud explosion, and you are suddenly splashed across the 135 walls of the room. 136 The resulting ruckus has awakened the dwarves. There are now several 136 threatening little dwarves in the room with you! Most of them throw 136 knives at you! All of them get you! 137 Oh, leave the poor unhappy bird alone. 138 I daresay whatever you want is around here somewhere. 139 I'm not sure what you mean by "Stop". Use "Quit" if you want to give 139 up. 140 You can't get there from here. 141 You are being followed by a very large, tame bear. 142 - *** THE HISTORY OF ADVENTURE (ABRIDGED) *** - 142 - ** By Ima Wimp ** - 142 ADVENTURE was originally developed by William Crowther, and later 142 substantially rewritten and expanded by Don Woods at Stanford Univ. 142 According to legend, Crowther's original version was modelled on an 142 a real cavern, called Colossal Cave, which is a part of Kentucky's 142 Mammoth Caverns. That version of the game included the main maze 142 and a portion of the third-level (Complex Junction - Bedquilt - 142 Swiss Cheese rooms, etc.), but not much more. 142 - - - 142 Don Woods and some others at Stanford later rewrote portions of 142 the original program, and greatly expanded the cave. That version 142 of the game is recognizable by the maximum score of 350 points. 142 At this writing (November, 1978), that version is by far the most 142 widely known. 142 - - - 142 The latest additions were done throughout 1978 by David Long while 142 at the University of Chicago, Graduate School of Business. 142 Long's additions include the seaside entrance and all of 142 the cave on the "far side" of Lost River (Rainbow Rm - Crystal 142 Palace - Blue Grotto - Rotunda - beyond Joshua's wall, etc., etc.). 142 The current cave is about 50% larger than the Woods/Stanford model. 142 In the process, the code was heavily rewritten to permit more 142 generalized handling of objects and to allow a far more complex 142 syntax. The current maximum score is 501 points. 142 - - - 142 Except for a couple of trivial subroutines (to get user-ID's for 142 logging purposes), ADVENTURE is written entirely in FORTRAN. This 142 not because Crowther/Woods/Long love FORTRAN, but because it is 142 almost infinitely portable. There were indeed moments when it took 142 great strength to withstand the temptation to whip out some character 142 handling routine in MACRO, instead of the furshlugginer compiler. 142 For example, there is an excellent rival game to Adventure, called 142 DUNGEON, developed at M.I.T., which is totally non-portable since 142 it is coded in an obscure variant of two initially obscure compilers, 142 and can only be transported in executable form between DEC-10's 142 and 20's. 142 - - - 142 Those interested in obtaining the latest releases of either the 142 source (FORTRAN IV) or executable code (DEC-20) should contact: 142 David E. Long, GSB Computing Services, University of Chicago, 142 5836 S. Greenwood Ave, Chicago IL 60637, (312) 753-4290. 142 To determine how out of date your version is, check the release date 142 and number printed in the opening line of each game. The version 142 number is parsed thusly: Version (say) 5.1/6 is major version 5, 142 release 1, bugfix 6. The release number is changed only when the 142 cave mapping is altered or when new items are added. The major 142 version number is incremented after adding extensions large enough 142 to affect the overall flavor of the game. To whet curious appetites, 142 major version 6 is projected to appear sometime around the summer 142 of 1979. It will contain a whole new wing to the cave (natch!) 142 plus a much enlarged surface area, including the Great Serbonian 142 Bog, the Castle of Aldor and the terrifying Passage of Fire. 142 Stay tuned! 142 - - - 142 Thanks are owed to Roger Matus and David Feldman, both of U. of C., 142 for several suggestions, including the Rainbow Room, the telephone 142 booth and the fearsome Wumpus. Further thanks go to J. R. Carlson 142 for many debugging suggestions. Most thanks (and apologies) 142 go to Thomas Malory, Charles Dodgson, the Grimm Brothers, Dante, 142 Homer, Frank Baum and especially Anon., the real authors of ADVENTURE. 142 - - - - 143 Do you indeed wish to quit now? 144 There is nothing here with which to fill the vase. 145 The sudden change in temperature has delicately shattered the vase. 146 It is beyond your power to do that. 147 I don't know how. 148 It is too far up for you to reach. 149 You killed a little dwarf. The body vanishes in a cloud of greasy 149 black smoke. 150 The shell is very strong and is impervious to attack. 151 What's the matter, can't you read? Now you'd best start over. 152 The axe bounces harmlessly off the dragon's thick scales. 153 The dragon looks rather nasty. You'd best not try to get by. 154 The little bird attacks the green dragon, and in an astounding flurry 154 gets burnt to a cinder. The ashes blow away. 155 On what? 156 Okay, from now on I'll only describe a place in full the first time 156 you come to it. To get the full description, say "LOOK". 157 Trolls are close relatives with the rocks and have skin as tough as 157 that of a rhinoceros. The troll fends off your blows effortlessly. 158 The troll deftly catches the axe, examines it carefully, and tosses it 158 back, declaring, "Good workmanship, but it's not valuable enough." 159 The troll catches your treasure and scurries away out of sight. 160 The troll refuses to let you cross. 161 There is no longer any way across the chasm. 162 Just as you reach the other side, the bridge buckles beneath the 162 weight of the bear, which was still following you around. You 162 scrabble desperately for support, but as the bridge collapses you 162 stumble back and fall into the chasm. 163 The bear lumbers toward the troll, who lets out a startled shriek and 163 scurries away. The bear soon gives up the pursuit and wanders back. 164 The axe misses and lands near the bear where you can't get at it. 165 With what? Your bare hands? Against *HIS* bear hands?? 166 The bear is confused; he only wants to be your friend. 167 For crying out loud, the poor thing is already dead! 168 The bear eagerly licks up the honeycomb, after which he seems to calm 168 down considerably and even becomes rather friendly. 169 The bear is still chained to the wall. 170 The chain is still locked. 171 The chain is now unlocked. 172 The chain is now locked. 173 There is nothing here to which the chain can be locked. 174 There is nothing here to eat. 175 Do you want the hint? 176 Do you need help getting out of the maze? 177 You can make the passages look less alike by dropping things. 178 Are you trying to explore beyond the Plover Room? 179 There is a way to explore that region without having to worry about 179 falling into a pit. None of the objects available is immediately 179 useful in discovering the secret. 180 Do you need help getting out of here? 181 Don't go west. 182 Gluttony is not one of the troll's vices. Avarice, however, is. 183 Your lamp is getting dim. You'd best start wrapping this up, unless 183 you can find some fresh batteries. I seem to recall there's a vending 183 machine in the maze. Bring some coins with you. 184 Your lamp has run out of power. 185 There's not much point in wandering around out here, and you can't 185 explore the cave without a lamp. So let's just call it a day. 186 There are faint rustling noises from the darkness behind you. As you 186 turn toward them, the beam of your lamp falls across a bearded pirate. 186 He is carrying a large chest. "Shiver me timbers!", he cries, "I've 186 been spotted! I'd best hie meself off to the maze to hide me chest!" 186 With that, he vanishes into the gloom. 187 Your lamp is getting dim. You'd best replace those batteries. 188 Your lamp is now shining with renewed strength. 189 Your lamp is getting dim, and you haven't any more coins. You'd 189 best start wrapping this up. 190 I'm afraid the magazine is written in dwarvish. 191 "This is not the maze where the pirate leaves his treasure chest." 192 Hmmm, this looks like a clue, which means it'll cost you 10 points to 192 read it. Should I go ahead and read it anyway? 193 It says, "There is something strange about this place, such that one 193 of the words I've always known now has a new effect." 194 It says the same thing it did before. 195 I'm afraid I don't understand. 196 "Congratulations on bringing light into the dark-room!" 197 You strike the mirror a resounding blow, whereupon it shatters into a 197 myriad tiny fragments. 198 You have taken the vase and hurled it delicately to the ground. 199 You prod the nearest dwarf, who wakes up grumpily, takes one look at 199 you, curses, and grabs for his axe. 200 Is this acceptable? 201 There's no point in suspending a demonstration game. 202 You managed to climb about halfway up before losing your hold and 202 sliding back. 203 You were only a few yards from the top when you slipped and tumbled 203 all the way back down. 204 Ok, ok. No need to be grabby. 205 Pulling an angry bear around is a good way to get your arm ripped off. 206 The sword is now very clean. 207 The sword is now covered with oil. 208 The handle is now too slippery to grasp. 209 You have no scabbord! 210 You are already wearing it! 211 Do you want to extract the sword from the anvil? 212 If you could convince me of your royal blood, you might get somewhere. 213 Are you trying to go up the slide? 214 Maybe you'd better look for another way into the cave. 215 You grasp the sword's handle and pull, but the sword won't budge. 215 Do you want to try yanking it out? 216 A tiny elf runs straight at you, shouts "Phuce!", and 216 disappears into the forest. 217 You can't swim. You'd best go by boat. 218 The boat's oars were stolen by the dwarves to play bing-bong. 218 (That's dwarvish ping-pong -- with rocks!). You have no way 218 to propel the boat. 219 You are still in the boat. It is too heavy to carry. 220 You had better leave the boat first. 221 You are now sitting in a small boat. 222 You couldn't possibly cross this sea without a large ship. 223 The cliff is unscalable. 224 Your keys are all too large for the lock. 225 The wall is too smooth to climb. 226 The shelf is beyond your reach. 227 You are already wearing them! 228 You thought maybe these were peyote?? You feel a little dizzy, 228 but nothing happens. 229 You are growing taller, expanding like a telescope! Just before 229 your head strikes the top of the chamber, the mysterious process 229 stops as suddenly as it began. 230 You are closing up like an accordian....shrinking..shrinking. You 230 are now your normal size. 231 You have smashed your bottle all over the ground. 232 You are now too big to leave the way you came in. 233 This is obviously an elfin entrance. Unless you can squeeze 233 yourself through a six-inch door, you'll have to find another 233 way into the cave. 234 The wrought-iron door is now locked. 235 The tiny door is now locked. 236 The wrought-iron door is now unlocked. 237 The tiny door is now unlocked. 238 You are blocked by a wall of solid rock. 239 >$< 240 The Wumpus looks at the food with distaste. He looks at *YOU* with 240 relish! 241 You have jerked the cloak free of the rocks. However, in doing 241 so you have caused a small rockslide, blocking the entrance 241 and making an unholy din. 242 The cloak is stuck tight under the rocks. You'll probably have to 242 yank it out. 243 The Wumpus grabs the axe, stops and picks his teeth with it for a few 243 moments while looking thoughtfully at you. When he finishes picking 243 his teeth, he eats the axe, belches, farts... and starts after 243 you again! 244 As the bridge disappears, the Wumpus scrambles frantically to reach 244 your side of the fissure. He misses by inches, and with a horrible 244 shriek plunges to his death in the depths of the fissure! 245 You can't even hit a sleeping Wumpus! The axe is now lying too near 245 the Wumpus for you to retrieve it. 246 The Wumpus is between you and the axe. You can't reach it. 247 You can't fit through a six-inch door! 248 The dog easily dodges the axe, which lands beyond him where you can't 248 get at it. 249 The dog wolfs (natch) down the food and looks around hungrily for 249 more. However, he does not appear to be any better disposed towards 249 your presence. 250 You've got to be kidding! 251 It's attached to the wall! 252 You can't put a thing into itself! 253 The gnome firmly blocks the door of the booth. You can't enter. 254 The constant ringing has awakened the dwarves! 254 There are now several threatening little dwarves in the room with 254 you! Most of them throw knives at you! All of them get you! 255 The telephone is out of order. 256 The telephone is out of order and your hand is sore. 257 A couple of lead slugs drop from the coinbox. (Gnomes are 257 notoriously cheap....) But you've broken the phone beyond 257 all hope. 258 He wants treasure, not gab. 259 He didn't say anything! 260 It isn't a parrot. He didn't say anything. 261 No one replies. The line goes dead with a faint "Click". 262 I think you are a little confused! 263 As you move towards the phone booth, a gnome suddenly streaks 263 around the corner, jumps into the booth and rudely slams the door 263 in your face. You can't get in. 264 He isn't hungry. 265 As the blast of the horn reverberates through the chamber, the 265 seemingly solid rock wall crumbles away, revealing another room just 265 beyond. The wall was most likely worn thin by an ancient watercourse 265 which dried up just before completely wearing away the rock. 266 The chamber reverberates to the blast of the horn. 266 (Satchmo you ain't!) 267 The bees swarm over the fresh flowers, leaving the hive unguarded 267 and revealing a sweet honeycomb. 268 You are now out of breath. 269 It isn't ringing! 270 A hairy paw reaches out of the darkness and.... 271 You don't have the correct change. 272 You go a short way down the bright passage, but the light 272 grows to blinding intensity. You can't continue. 273 You know, if you type "BRIEF", I won't have to keep repeating these 273 long descriptions of each room. 274 Are you trying to reach the natural bridge? 275 You can't get to it by climbing the walls or jumping or anything 275 like that. You could always put in a telephone call to the local 275 spelunking club for advice, if you could find a phone. 276 You turkey!!! Now you've done it! It took some effort, but you 276 woke up the Wumpus. He slowly opens one red eye, and then another, 276 and then one more (!!), and looks at you sleepily. He had been 276 dreaming of a late snack. If you don't act quickly, you'll 276 be a *late* adventurer! 277 The blast of your horn echos throughout hill and dale. 278 All you have are watercress sandwiches. The bear is less than 278 interested. 279 You have smashed your sword to smithereens against a rock. 280 Setting yourself adrift in the boat with no way to propel it would 280 not be very smart. Best to keep the pole. 281 You're already in it! 282 You've hit the jackpot!! Hundreds of coins and slugs cascade from 282 the telephone's coin return slot and spill all over the floor of 282 the booth. 283 Whoops! The floor has opened out from under you! It seems you 283 have fallen into a bottomless pit. As a matter of fact, you're 283 still falling! Well, I have better things to do than wait around 283 for you to strike bottom, so let's just assume you're dead. 283 Sorry about that, Chief. 284 The telephone in the booth has begun to ring. 285 I don't understand what you are trying to do! 286 How do you propose to cross the river? 287 The air is filled with beautiful music. 288 The air fills with beautiful music. The dog gradually becomes 288 less fierce, and after a short while he lies down by the side of 288 the cavern and falls into a deep sleep. 289 Are you trying to get past the dog? 290 The only person I can remember who managed to get past the dog 290 was that singer, ummm, what's his name... Euridice's friend.... 291 That wouldn't be wise. It is best to let sleeping dogs lie. 292 The stream flows out of one very small crack and into another. 292 You can't go that way. 293 The river is too wide and deep to cross. 294 The glare is absolutely blinding. If you proceed you are likely 294 to fall into a pit. 295 The hum of the bees rises to an angry buzz as you move towards 295 the hive. 296 The sticks and branches are all in a tangle and are stuck in the 296 mud. You'd need a shovel to dig them out. 297 You're already carrying them! 298 The chalice is slightly cracked. It won't hold any liquids. 299 The cask is now empty. 300 The wine goes right to your head. You reel around in a drunken 300 stupor and finally pass out. You awaken with a splitting headache, 300 and try to focus your eyes.... 301 Yeeeecchhh!! 302 Your bottle is already full. 303 The cask is already full. 304 There is nothing here with which to fill the bottle. 305 There is nothing here which you would want to put into the cask. 306 Your bottle is now full of water. 307 The cask is now full of water. 308 Your bottle is now full of oil. 309 The cask is now full of oil. 310 The bottle is now full of wine. 311 The cask is now full of wine. 312 You have nothing in which to carry it. 313 You can't fill that. 314 Do you want it in the bottle or the cask? 315 Your containers are both full. 316 It's empty. 317 Hmmm, I see you have already gone through an extra set of batteries. 317 I'll get rid of the trash for you. 318 The bridge shakes as you cross. Large hunks of clay and rock near 318 the edge break off and hurtle far down into the chasm. Several of 318 the cracks on the bridge surface widen perceptibly. 319 The load is too much for the bridge! With a roar, the entire 319 structure gives way, plunging you headlong into the raging river at 319 the bottom of the chasm and scattering all your holdings. As the 319 icy waters close over your head, you flail and thrash with all your 319 might, and with your last ounce of strength pull yourself onto the 319 south bank of the river. 320 You can't get at him. He is inside the phone booth. 321 Your lamp is already on. 322 Your lamp is already off. 323 Your lamp is again growing dim. You'd better get some more batteries. 324 You know, you are wasting your batteries by wandering around out 324 here with your light on. 325 326 Dead wumpi, as a rule, are light eaters. Nothing happens. 327 How do expect to feed a sleeping Wumpus? 328 You aren't holding it! 329 It won't fit! 330 The coin drops into the slot with a dull "clunk". There is no 330 dial tone. 331 It's already there. 332 Thank you for your comments. They will be dispatched immediately 332 via Gnome Express to the Wizard. 333 The chest is now unlocked. 334 The chest is now locked. 335 You can't get at it. 336 It's already open. 337 It's locked. 338 It's already closed. 339 You can't fill that. It would leak all over the place. 340 It's not inside anything. 341 It isn't there! 342 How? 343 Taken. 344 Dropped. 345 I don't think I can. 346 Interesting. How? 347 Huh? 348 You are in perfect health. 349 You are fit as a fiddle. 350 Only wizards can do that! 351 Are you kidding? Do you want to suffocate the poor thing? 352 Thrown. 353 Left. 354 You can't get close enough for a clean thrust. 355 As you move in for the kill, the dwarf neatly slips a knife 355 between your ribs. 356 As you approach, the dwarf slashes out with his knife! 357 It's too dark to see anything! 358 It's not open. 359 There's nothing inside. 360 It contains: 361 The billboard reads: 361 "Visit Beautiful Colossal Cave. Open Year Around. Fun for 361 the entire family, or at least for those who survive." 361 Below the headline is an impossibly complicated map showing how 361 to find Colossal Cave. Not that it matters, because all the 361 directions are written in Elvish. 362 Hidden behind the poster is a steel safe, embedded in the wall. 363 Brushing the dust from one of the larger rocks reveals some carved 363 characters. 364 Enough dusting, already! You're making me sneeze. 365 The safe door smoothly swings open. 366 Maybe if you rubbed your fingertips with sandpaper.... 367 The safe's door clicks shut. 368 This is a combination safe. The keys won't help. 369 I certainly can't read in this light. 370 The poster has on it a picture of a short, fat wizard with a bushy 370 red beard and a white painted face. He is playing an electric 370 guitar. The caption reads: 'LOOK OUT KISS!! Here comes WIZZ!!!! 370 Brian Baas lead singer and vocals. Playing at a Woodstock 370 near you!' 371 "Click." 372 In the rock is carved the message "7-22-34". 373 You can't get at them. 374 Ok, I'll give you the full description whenever you enter a room 374 for the first time. 375 You don't have the right key. 376 That's not strong enough to open the clam. 377 That's not strong enough to open the oyster. 378 As you approach, the spider's grin widens. I wouldn't proceed 378 any further. 379 The spider grabs the fly, wraps it silk, and proceeds to quietly 379 munch on it, leaving the door unguarded. 380 >>> Messages 381 thru 389 are reserved for "Diagnoses". <<< 381 You are a bit off top form, but nothing to worry about. 382 You are weaker than usual. Better avoid fights. 383 You really ought to take a break. You're in tough shape. 384 You are on the edge of collapse. Lots of sun and fresh air will 384 speed your recovery. 385 Your strength is nearly gone. Only a miracle can save you now. 386 It reads (in intricate design): 'Shamut' 387 ** Unused ** 388 ** Unused ** 389 ** Unused ** 390 >>> Messages 391 thru 399 are reserved for Radium Poisoning. <<< 391 Is it hot in here? You are flushed and sweating. 392 You are feeling definitely peculiar, weak.... 393 You're dizzy, nauseous. You can barely stand. 394 You are really ill. If you don't find an antidote soon, it's 394 curtains. 395 You are a walking wound. You are very weak. You'd better find out 395 what's wrong before it's too late. 396 Sheeesh! What a mess! Your hair has fallen out and your skin is 396 covered with blisters. And not an asprin in sight! 397 Well, you tried, but your strength is gone. The agony is finally 397 over. 398 The fly buzzes his last buzz and takes a nosedive. 399 Suddenly, one of the stone contortions comes to life! It is 399 an old, lethargic ogre, who ambles toward you and hands you an 399 old scrap of parchment. He then disappears before your very eyes! -1 7 2 3 0 1 Brass lamp 0 0 0 3 8 9 0 Grate 0 0 0 4 10 0 1 Cage 0 0 0 5 11 0 2 Black rod 0 0 0 6 0 0 2 Black rod 0 0 0 7 14 15 0 Steps 0 0 0 9 148 0 2 Wood Pole 0 0 0 10 96 0 1 Pillow 0 0 0 11 19 -1 0 Snake 0 0 0 12 17 27 0 Fissure 0 0 0 13 101 -1 0 Tablet 0 0 0 14 103 0 7 Giant clam 0 0 0 15 0 0 7 Oyster 0 0 0 16 106 0 1 Magazines 1 0 108 17 0 -1 0 Dwarf 0 0 0 18 0 0 0 Knife 0 0 0 19 238 0 2 Tasty Food 0 0 0 20 238 0 1 Bottle 0 0 0 21 117 122 0 *Chasm1 0 0 0 22 190 235 0 *Chasm2 0 0 0 23 109 -1 0 Mirror 0 0 0 24 25 -1 0 Tiny Plant 0 0 0 25 23 67 0 Beanstalk 0 0 0 26 111 -1 0 Stalagmite 0 0 0 27 35 110 0 Figure 0 0 0 28 0 0 3 Small Axe 0 0 0 29 97 -1 0 *Drawings 0 0 0 30 0 -1 0 Pirate 0 0 0 31 119 121 0 Dragon 0 0 0 33 117 122 0 Troll 0 0 0 34 0 0 0 Troll 0 0 0 35 130 -1 0 Tame Bear 0 0 0 36 0 -1 0 *Message 0 0 0 37 126 -1 0 Volcano 0 0 0 38 140 -1 0 Machine 0 0 0 39 0 0 3 Batteries 0 0 0 40 96 -1 0 *Moss 0 0 0 41 94 -1 0 Giant Door 0 0 0 42 158 166 0 Elfin door 0 0 0 43 160 167 0 Iron door 0 0 0 44 188 189 0 Door 0 0 0 46 155 0 1 Flowers 0 0 0 47 174 -1 1 Silk Cloak 3 0 -112 48 166 0 0 Wood Boat 0 0 0 49 228 229 0 Sticks 0 0 0 50 18 0 6 Nugget 2 0 -55 51 204 0 1 Diamonds 2 0 -112 52 27 0 2 Horn 2 0 -112 53 29 0 2 Jewelry 1 0 -112 54 30 0 3 Rare Coins 5 0 -112 55 0 0 5 Chest 5 0 3 56 92 0 4 Gold Eggs 3 0 -112 57 168 0 3 Trident 2 0 -55 58 97 0 2 Ming vase 2 0 3 59 100 0 3 Emerald 3 0 -112 60 101 0 4 Pyramid 4 0 -112 61 0 0 1 Pearl 4 0 -112 62 119 121 3 Rug 3 0 3 63 127 0 1 Spices 1 0 -112 64 130 -1 3 Gold Chain 4 0 -112 65 141 0 2 Sword 4 0 -112 66 144 0 1 Crown 2 0 -112 67 205 0 1 Ruby Shoes 3 0 -112 68 28 0 2 Lyre 1 0 -112 69 238 0 1 Black fly 1 0 -112 70 220 0 2 Holy grail 2 0 -112 71 230 0 3 Oaken Cask 3 4 -55 72 0 0 1 Gold ring 4 0 -112 73 147 0 1 Clover 1 0 -112 81 0 0 2 Water 0 0 0 82 0 0 2 Water 0 0 0 83 0 0 2 Oil 0 0 0 84 0 0 2 Oil 0 0 0 85 0 0 2 Wine 0 0 0 86 0 0 2 Wine 0 0 0 87 193 -1 0 Bumblebees 0 0 0 88 102 194 0 *Wall 0 0 0 89 0 -1 0 *Wall 0 0 0 90 159 0 1 Tiny key 0 0 0 91 141 -1 0 *Anvil 0 0 0 92 172 174 0 *Rocks 0 0 0 93 188 -1 0 Phonebooth 0 0 0 94 189 -1 0 Telephone 0 0 0 95 0 0 3 Lead Slugs 0 0 0 96 0 0 2 Honeycomb 0 0 0 97 193 -1 0 Beehive 0 0 0 98 227 -1 0 Large dog 0 0 0 99 174 -1 0 Wumpus 0 0 0 101 13 0 2 Bird 0 0 0 102 238 0 1 Keys 0 0 0 103 217 -1 0 Fountain 0 0 0 104 171 -1 0 Bats 0 0 0 105 0 -1 0 Gnome 0 0 0 106 146 0 1 Mushrooms 0 0 0 107 159 0 1 Cakes 0 0 0 108 3 0 2 Large Sack 0 0 0 110 0 0 3 Rare Book 2 0 -112 111 0 0 3 Rare Book 0 0 0 112 0 -1 0 Safe 0 0 0 113 3 0 1 Old Poster 0 0 0 114 180 0 1 Whiskbroom 0 0 0 115 39 -1 0 *Carving 0 0 0 116 5 -1 0 *Billbd 0 0 0 118 110 0 3 Metal Tube 0 0 0 119 169 0 1 Green Rock 4 0 -118 120 198 0 2 Crys. Ball 2 0 -112 121 239 -1 0 Spider 0 0 0 122 225 0 1 Parchment 0 0 0 -1 -1 -1 -1 END LIST -1 -1 -1 8 1 24 2 29 3 0 4 33 5 0 6 33 7 38 8 38 9 42 10 14 11 43 12 110 13 29 14 110 15 73 16 75 17 29 18 13 19 59 20 59 21 174 22 313 23 67 24 13 25 147 26 155 27 369 28 146 29 110 30 13 31 13 32 24 33 25 34 110 35 262 36 14 37 29 38 271 39 14 40 14 41 24 42 29 43 38 44 24 45 331 46 24 47 109 48 332 49 0 50 0 51 348 52 358 53 0 54 364 55 0 -1 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 99 100 115 116 212 126 0 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 0 157 158 159 166 167 168 169 160 192 0 198 201 214 227 228 229 238 155 156 1 24 2 217 3 24 33 217 1 3 4 7 38 95 3 166 167 168 169 192 198 206 207 208 3 214 228 229 113 4 46 47 48 54 56 58 82 85 86 4 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 4 141 142 189 5 9 10 11 12 13 14 166 167 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 6 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 6 157 158 159 160 227 228 229 238 7 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 7 52 53 54 55 56 80 81 82 86 8 99 100 101 9 108 10 141 11 98 12 8 13 13 14 158 15 202 16 157 227 17 19 -1 10 72 You are obviously a rank amateur. Better luck next time. 130 Your score qualifies you as a Novice Class Adventurer. 200 You have achieved the rating: "Experienced Adventurer". 250 You may now consider yourself a "Seasoned Adventurer". 350 You have reached "Junior Master" status. 435 Your score puts you in Master Adventurer Class C. 470 Your score puts you in Master Adventurer Class B. 500 Your score puts you in Master Adventurer Class A. 9999 All of Adventuredom gives tribute to you, Adventurer Grandmaster! -1 11 2 9999 10 0 0 3 9999 5 0 0 7 75 4 176 177 8 25 5 178 179 9 20 3 180 181 10 6 10 211 212 11 16 5 213 214 12 4 2 62 63 13 5 2 18 19 14 10 2 62 233 15 8 5 274 275 16 10 5 289 290 17 8 2 20 21 -1 12 1 A large cloud of green smoke appears in front of you. It clears away 1 to reveal a tall wizard, clothed in grey. He fixes you with a steely 1 glare and declares, "This adventure has lasted too long." With that 1 he makes a single pass over you with his hands, and everything around 1 you fades away into a grey nothingness. 2 Even wizards have to wait longer than that! 3 I'm terribly sorry, but Colossal Cave is closed. Our hours are: 4 Only wizards are permitted within the cave right now. 5 We do allow visitors to make short explorations during our off hours. 5 Would you like to do that? 6 Colossal Cave is open to regular adventurers at the following hours: 7 Very well. 8 Only a wizard may continue an adventure this soon. 9 I suggest you resume your adventure at a later time. 10 Do you wish to see the hours? 11 Do you wish to change the hours? 12 New magic word (null to leave unchanged): 13 New magic number (null to leave unchanged): 14 Do you wish to change the message of the day? 15 Okay. You can save this version now. 16 Are you a wizard? 17 Prove it! Say the magic word! 18 That is not what I thought it was. Do you know what I thought it was? 19 Oh dear, you really *ARE* a wizard! Sorry to have bothered you . . . 20 Foo, you are nothing but a charlatan! 21 New hours specified by defining "Prime Time". Give only the hour 21 (e.g. 14, Not 14:00 or 2pm). Enter a negative number after last pair. 22 New hours for Colossal Cave: 23 Limit each line to 70 chars. End with a blank line. 24 Line too long, retype: 25 Not enough room for another line. Ending message here. 26 Do you wish to (re)schedule the next holiday? 27 To begin how many days from today? 28 To last how many days (zero if no holiday)? 29 To be called what (up to 20 characters)? 30 Too small! Assuming minimum value (45 minutes). 31 Break out of this and save your core-image. 32 Be sure to save your core-image... 33 Do you need a new map? 34 There is water here. 35 There is oil here. 36 There is wine (hic) here. -1 14 BREAK WITH AXE SWORD POLE ROD DRINK FROM CASK CUP VASE BOTTLE DROP IN CHEST SACK MACHINE BOTTLE CASK GRAIL VASE CAGE DROP IN BOAT ANVIL PHONE SAFE LAMP TUBE DROP ON RUG CROWN CLOAK SHOES JEWELS SWORD PILLOW DUST WITH BROOM FEED TO TROLL SNAKE BIRD BEAR WUMPUS DOG DWARF BAT FEED TO CLAM OYSTER SPIDER FILL WITH OIL WINE WATER GET FROM CHEST SACK BOTTLE CASK GRAIL VASE CAGE BOAT GET FROM ANVIL SAFE WUMPUS TUBE GET IN CHEST SACK BOTTLE CASK GRAIL VASE CAGE BOAT GET IN ANVIL SAFE WUMPUS TUBE HIT WITH AXE SWORD POLE ROD KNIFE INSERT IN CHEST SACK MACHINE BOTTLE CASK GRAIL VASE CAGE INSERT IN CAGE BOAT ANVIL PHONE SAFE LAMP TUBE KILL WITH AXE SWORD KNIFE LEAVE IN CHEST SACK MACHINE BOTTLE CASK GRAIL VASE LEAVE IN CAGE BOAT ANVIL PHONE SAFE TUBE LEAVE ON RUG CROWN CLOAK SHOES JEWELS SWORD PILLOW LOCK WITH KEYS KEY LOOK IN CHEST SACK BOTTLE CASK GRAIL VASE CAGE BOAT LOOK IN ANVIL CLAM OYSTER SAFE TUBE LOOK AT ANY OPEN WITH KEY KEYS AXE TRIDENT SWORD POLE ROD PICK UP ANY PLAY ON HORN LYRE POUR ON PLANT SWORD ANVIL DOOR CLOVER POUR FROM CASK CUP VASE BOTTLE PUT DOWN ANY PUT ON RUG CROWN CLOAK SHOES JEWELS SWORD PILLOW CLOVER PUT IN CHEST SACK MACHINE BOTTLE CASK GRAIL VASE CAGE PUT IN BOAT ANVIL PHONE SAFE LAMP TUBE READ ON CLAM OYSTER TABLET BILLBOA READ FROM CLAM OYSTER TABLET MAGAZIN BOOK POSTER BILLBOA REMOVE FROM CHEST SACK BOTTLE CASK GRAIL VASE CAGE BOAT REMOVE FROM ANVIL CLAM OYSTER SAFE WUMPUS TUBE SHUT WITH KEYS KEY TAKE OFF CROWN CLOAK SHOES JEWELRY RING CLOVER TAKE FROM CHEST SACK BOTTLE CASK GRAIL CAGE CAGE BOAT TAKE FROM ANVIL SAFE WUMPUS TUBE TAKE IN CHEST SACK BOTTLE CASK GRAIL VASE CAGE BOAT TAKE IN ANVIL TUBE TOSS TO TROLL SNAKE BIRD BEAR WUMPUS DOG DWARF BAT TOSS TO FIGURE TOSS AT ANY TOSS DOWN ANY TURN ON LAMP TURN OFF LAMP UNLOCK WITH KEYS KEY WAVE AT ANY WAVE TO TROLL SNAKE BIRD BEAR WUMPUS BEES DOG DWARF WAVE TO BAT FIGURE YANK FROM ANY -1 15 1 3 4 14 15 20 41 42 43 44 1 64 71 108 110 111 112 118 2 108 3 3 42 43 55 64 112 4 3 42 43 55 64 112 41 5 16 47 71 101 108 7 19 24 46 63 96 101 106 107 8 13 14 15 16 36 110 111 113 115 8 122 9 11 14 15 17 30 31 33 35 87 9 69 11 47 53 66 67 72 73 13 7 29 39 46 53 54 56 67 87 13 102 106 107 14 47 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 14 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 14 70 71 72 73 110 119 120 58 68 15 2 4 20 38 48 55 58 70 71 15 112 118 108 16 2 5 6 10 16 19 20 28 39 16 47 51 52 53 54 56 58 59 60 16 61 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 16 72 73 101 102 106 107 108 110 113 16 114 118 119 120 17 55 108 112 118 -1 16 4-LEAF CLOVER BLACK ROD DOG OIL FLY BRASS LAMP KEY CRYSTAL BALL ELFIN CROWN DOOR KEY FRESH BATTERI GIANT DOOR CLAM OYSTER NUGGET SNAKE GLOWING RADIUM GOLD NUGGET CHAIN EGGS RING GREEN RADIUM EMERALD CLOVER GREY TUBE HOLY GRAIL IRON DOOR LEAD SLUGS TUBE LEATHER BOOK SACK METAL TUBE MING VASE OAKEN CASK OPAL SPHERE PERSIAN RUG PLATINU PYRAMID RARE BOOK COINS SPICES RUBY SHOES RUSTY DOOR SHADOWY FIGURE SILKEN CLOAK SILVER HORN STEEL SWORD SAFE GRATE TASTY FOOD TINY DOOR RING KEY BOTTLE BIRD CAKES TUBE TREASUR CHEST VELVET PILLOW VENDING MACHINE WICKER CAGE WOODEN BOAT POLE CASK WORN-OU BATTERI -1 0