Retrieved from https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.games.int-fiction/twSlpwK6lHM/xQUwTfth784J https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.games.int-fiction/Dc6o9K_C-NQ/qrPXICmdl9cJ on 2016-01-26. Email addresses have been mangled by Google Groups; I've repaired the ones that can be unambiguously deduced. Any instance of "...@" in this text should be considered suspect. This is a post (never answered) on rec.games.int-fiction, from February 8, 1998; and then a longer thread from Payne's second attempt, on March 12 through 16, 1998. David W. Payne reports that he communicated via email with David Long "years ago", and at that time Long was trying to port the game to C++ for the PC. Payne confirms that the "Enhanced Adventure" on CompuServe was indeed LONG0751. Ralph (identifying information mangled by Google, sadly) is also looking for an old DEC-10 game named "Haunt". =========================================================================== From: "David W. Payne" Subject: Enhanced Adventure Date: 1998/02/08 Message-ID: <6bjs5q$j67$1@news-2.csn.net>#1/1 X-Deja-AN: 323107680 Organization: SuperNet Inc. +1.303.285.0194 Denver Colorado Newsgroups: rec.games.int-fiction Hi, I'm looking for the 700 pt. version of Adventure and/or the current address of the author, David E. Long. David Long used to work at the University of Chicago Graduate School. This version of Adventure was written in Fortran originally and may have been rewritten in C++ by the original author. Thanks, Dave Payne =========================================================================== From: "David W. Payne" Subject: Adventure - 751 pt. version Date: 1998/03/12 Message-ID: <6e7v8q$fj7$1@news-2.csn.net>#1/1 X-Deja-AN: 333241487 Organization: SuperNet Inc. +1.303.285.0194 Denver Colorado Newsgroups: rec.games.int-fiction Hi, I'm looking for any information about a version of _Adventure_ which was 751 pts. The author's name is David Long, formally of the University of Chicago. One name for this version is _Enhanced Adventure_. This version is based on the original version with additional rooms and puzzles. Any ideas??? Thanks, David Payne (dwpayne@csn.net) =========================================================================== From: George Ellison Subject: Re: Adventure - 751 pt. version Date: 1998/03/12 Message-ID: #1/1 X-Deja-AN: 333462613 References: <6e7v8q$fj7$1@news-2.csn.net> Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Organization: All USENET -- http://www.Supernews.com Mime-Version: 1.0 Newsgroups: rec.games.int-fiction Isn't this the one that used to be on CIS? On 12 Mar 1998, David W. Payne wrote: > Hi, > > I'm looking for any information about a version of _Adventure_ which > was 751 pts. The author's name is David Long, formally of the > University of Chicago. > > One name for this version is _Enhanced Adventure_. > > This version is based on the original version with additional rooms > and puzzles. Any ideas??? > > Thanks, > > David Payne (dwpayne@csn.net) > > > > =========================================================================== From: "David W. Payne" Subject: Re: Adventure - 751 pt. version Date: 1998/03/14 Message-ID: <6eeqht$1ml$1@news-2.csn.net>#1/1 X-Deja-AN: 334082852 References: <6e7v8q$fj7$1@news-2.csn.net> Organization: SuperNet Inc. +1.303.285.0194 Denver Colorado Newsgroups: rec.games.int-fiction Yes, this is the version called _Enhanced Adventure_ on CIS. There are suppose to be two ports of this version of Adventure. One port is for DEC Fortran and the other is a _partial_ Prime Fortran port. I know of two systems (CIS is one) which _had_ the 751 pt. version installed. This version was not _widely_ distributed. I'm hoping someone out there has the source code or can tell me where the code is or at least explain why the source isn't available, and/or knows where the author David Long is these days. George Ellison wrote: : Isn't this the one that used to be on CIS? : On 12 Mar 1998, David W. Payne wrote: :> Hi, :> :> I'm looking for any information about a version of _Adventure_ which :> was 751 pts. The author's name is David Long, formally of the :> University of Chicago. :> :> One name for this version is _Enhanced Adventure_. :> :> This version is based on the original version with additional rooms :> and puzzles. Any ideas??? :> :> Thanks, :> :> David Payne (dwpayne@csn.net) :> :> :> :> =========================================================================== From: rb...@earthlink.net Subject: Re: Adventure - 751 pt. version - Also anyone know of Haunt??? Date: 1998/03/14 Message-ID: <350B046E.292C@earthlink.net>#1/1 X-Deja-AN: 334107584 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit References: <6e7v8q$fj7$1@news-2.csn.net> <6eeqht$1ml$1@news-2.csn.net> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Organization: EarthLink Network, Inc. Mime-Version: 1.0 Reply-To: rb...@earthlink.net Newsgroups: rec.games.int-fiction David, I would be interested in getting the source for this enhanced version as well - I would like to get to re-write in C++, instead of the fortran that it originally was written in. I do not know what CIS is - is it a web site, a usergroup, or what??? Also, some years ago, I worked at one company, in the Chicago area, where we had a game called Haunt on the Dec-10 mainframe. Was never able to finish the game, but was wondering if anyone has ever seen or heard of this game, and if the source is available anywhere around. Ralph David W. Payne wrote: > > Yes, this is the version called _Enhanced Adventure_ on CIS. > > There are suppose to be two ports of this version of Adventure. One > port is for DEC Fortran and the other is a _partial_ Prime Fortran port. > > I know of two systems (CIS is one) which _had_ the 751 pt. version > installed. This version was not _widely_ distributed. I'm hoping > someone out there has the source code or can tell me where the code > is or at least explain why the source isn't available, and/or knows > where the author David Long is these days. > > George Ellison wrote: > : Isn't this the one that used to be on CIS? > > : On 12 Mar 1998, David W. Payne wrote: > > :> Hi, > :> > :> I'm looking for any information about a version of _Adventure_ which > :> was 751 pts. The author's name is David Long, formally of the > :> University of Chicago. > :> > :> One name for this version is _Enhanced Adventure_. > :> > :> This version is based on the original version with additional rooms > :> and puzzles. Any ideas??? > :> > :> Thanks, > :> > :> David Payne (dwpayne@csn.net) > :> > :> > :> > :> =========================================================================== From: ens...@aol.com (Ens TAW2) Subject: Re: Adventure - 751 pt. version - Also anyone know of Haunt??? Date: 1998/03/15 Message-ID: <19980315025200.VAA24374@ladder01.news.aol.com>#1/1 X-Deja-AN: 334152475 References: <350B046E.292C@earthlink.net> X-Admin: ne...@aol.com Organization: AOL http://www.aol.com Newsgroups: rec.games.int-fiction >I do not know what CIS is - is it a web site, a usergroup, or what??? > > I'm guessing CIS is Compuserve Information Services. =========================================================================== From: rb...@earthlink.net Subject: Re: Adventure - 751 pt. version - Also anyone know of Haunt??? Date: 1998/03/15 Message-ID: <350C3AD5.582@earthlink.net>#1/1 X-Deja-AN: 334338812 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit References: <350B046E.292C@earthlink.net> <19980315025200.VAA24374@ladder01.news.aol.com> Mime-Version: 1.0 Reply-To: rb...@earthlink.net Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Organization: EarthLink Network, Inc. Newsgroups: rec.games.int-fiction Ens TAW2 wrote: > > >I do not know what CIS is - is it a web site, a usergroup, or what??? > > > > > > I'm guessing CIS is Compuserve Information Services. Is this the only site to get the source code??? Since I am not a member of Compuserve, what would I do to be able to get the stuff. Ralph =========================================================================== From: "David W. Payne" Subject: Re: Adventure - 751 pt. version - Also anyone know of Haunt??? Date: 1998/03/16 Message-ID: <6eii0n$9ib$1@news-2.csn.net>#1/1 X-Deja-AN: 334465261 References: <350B046E.292C@earthlink.net> <19980315025200.VAA24374@ladder01.news.aol.com> <350C3AD5.582@earthlink.net> Organization: SuperNet Inc. +1.303.285.0194 Denver Colorado Newsgroups: rec.games.int-fiction [snip] : Is this the only site to get the source code??? Since I am not a member : of Compuserve, what would I do to be able to get the stuff. : Ralph CIS is Compuserve, the source was never available for downloading. CIS has (had) _Adventure_ and _Enhanced Adventure_ available online for members to play. I used to have a membership and played the first part of _Enhanced Adventure_ several times. That was back when Compuserve was a rather expensive service and it would have cost a lot to play a new version of adventure all the way through. I corresponded with David Long via email years ago while he was at the University of Chicago. He said he was working on a C++ version (PC) of Enhanced Adventure but didn't know if and when he would finish it. If I remember correctly, he said he would consider releasing this C++ version when he finished it (source and/or binary???). I believe the source was not widely distributed. I would like to know if it was ever put in an archive somewhere (DECUS maybe???). Or, maybe someone with access to DEC backup tapes would be willing to spend some time looking for the source, though that could be time consuming. ;-) Maybe David Long will hear about this thread and let us know if the C++ version is a possibility. David Payne(dwpayne@csn.net) ===========================================================================