Monster Ring Patch v2.1
Download this patch
Back to other patches
Vanilla Nethack (as of version 3.4.3) does not let non-player monsters
put on rings, or benefit from their effects. In fact, non-tame monsters
won't even pick up rings they find lying around the dungeon. By allowing
monsters to pick up and use rings, we allow for new, more evil
This patch allows monsters to pick up and use certain kinds of rings.
The rings affected by the patch are:
- Invisibility. Shopkeepers and uniques will not wear this
ring, and it is not preferred when the player can see invisible.
- Teleportation. Shopkeepers and uniques will not wear this
ring. It confers the same teleportation effect as being a tengu.
- Teleport control.
- See invisible.
- Fire resistance.
- Cold resistance.
- Shock resistance.
- Poison resistance.
- Increase accuracy.
- Increase damage.
- Slow digestion. Wearing this ring causes the same effect as
an amulet of life saving, when swallowed by a player in the form of a
purple worm. Monsters will only prefer this ring when the player is
polymorphed into a digesting monster (purple worm, trapper, lurker above).
It has no other in-game effect. (One interesting interaction: It is
possible to attempt to eat one of the Riders while it is wearing a ring of
slow digestion. You'll immediately spit it out with no ill effects.)
- Adornment. Only succubi care about this ring.
- Version 1.1. Initial release.
- Version 1.2.
- Generalized "purple worm" to "digester" in a few places.
- Added monster-on-monster effects of slow digestion.
- Monsters prefer fire resistance when you're wielding Fire
Brand, and cold resistance when you're wielding Frost Brand.
- Monsters' rings fall off with their gloves, when they're
polymorphed into handless or tiny creatures.
- Bugfix: Monsters can put on rings "over" gloves or other rings.
- Bugfix: Uniques and shopkeepers can wear rings of
- Version 1.3.
- Changed one more "purple worm" to "digester."
- Friendly monsters will not equip a ring of invisibility unless
you can see invisible.
- Bugfix: Test for shopkeepers correctly; previous code had been
testing for "covetous" monsters such as the Wizard.
- Version 1.4.
- Bugfix: Fixed total misunderstanding of tele_restrict
causing spurious messages on non-teleport levels.
- L's improved monring patch,
based on my version 1.4:
- Monsters can wear two rings, not just one.
- Monsters can wear and benefit from rings of see
invisible, teleport control, increase accuracy, and
- Monsters can now gain these attributes from held artifacts as
- Player-monsters can now be generated with rings.
- Monsters prefer fire, cold, shock, or poison resistance when
you're polymorphed into a form with one of those attacks.
- Monsters wearing rings of teleport jump much less
frequently than in my version: 1 time in 85, instead of 1 in 5.
- Behind-the-scenes code changes for extensibility.
- Version 2.1 (February 2007).
- Started afresh using L's codebase. The following changes
are with respect to L's patch.
- Unique monsters will wear rings of teleport control.
- Teleportation activates once every 10 turns, on average,
instead of once every 85 turns (as the player's would). This is to make
things more interesting.
- Succubi prefer rings of adornment (with positive
enchantment) to any other ring.
- Succubi will wear the rings they steal, and will not
steal rings they do not intend to wear.
- Monsters >XL12 and magic-users >XL8 have intrinsic
- Teleporting monsters will make a saving throw when drowning,
just like the player.
- Weak monsters will wear rings of polymorph, just as they will
jump onto polymorph traps. However, rings of polymorph don't actually
confer polymorphitis yet.
- Player-monsters can be generated with rings of regeneration
or see invisible. They will not get two of the same ring.
- A few more places check mon_prop(SEE_INVIS) instead of
- Cursed weapons should weld to monsters' hands in the same way,
and with the same effects, as they do to players'; inconsistencies have
been fixed in bullwhip-applying and nymph-stealing code (see known bug
More monsters should be generated with rings; in particular, I'm
thinking that hobbits should get an extra chance at gold rings (a Lord
of the Rings reference), and nymphs should get rings of adornment.
Rings of levitation should be implemented. I'm not sure how
big a change that would be. At the moment, monster levitation is not
implemented at all (but flying is); that's open bug C343-184.
It would be nice to add polymorph, free action,
searching, and polymorph control to the list of rings
available for monsters' use. (The problem with polymorph control: There
would have to be logic dictating what a gnome, say, would do with
a controlled polymorph. It might lead to a lot of titans wandering around
Also reasonable, but much less interesting in terms of gameplay, would
be gain strength, gain constitution, and possibly
stealth. The remaining rings, among them protection from shape
changers, warning, and conflict, don't have any obvious
application to non-player monsters.
In vanilla Nethack 3.4.3, digesting a monster leaves its possessions
neatly in a heap on the floor. It might be be more sensible to destroy
(some of?) those items, as if they had been eaten by the player, with the
associated intrinsic gains. That might be too powerful, though; I'm not
sure. Also, digestion behavior is tangential to the main point of this
patch, which is to allow monsters to use rings.
This page was last updated
31 March 2011
All original code, images and documentation on this page
are freely distributable.
Please keep them that way.