A few errata from the 17 January 2006 lecture notes: (1) "Dejour" is not "du jour," and other typos. (2) Technically speaking, and so on aren't "files"; they're "headers." I don't know any C implementations that /don't/ implement the standard headers as a bunch of files in the file system, but it's not actually required that they do so. (3) The difference between "function" and "method" isn't just a C-Java vocabulary quirk; Java's methods are attached to particular classes, while C's functions are "free-floating." C++ has both functions and methods (although, in what I /would/ call a quirk, C++ calls its methods "member functions"). The lecture notes seem to imply that the terms are totally interchangeable. (4) 'void main()' may be common, but that doesn't make it correct. Consider what might happen on a typical Unix system if you define 'main' to return something of type 'float', and then try to explain how similar crazy stuff wouldn't happen with 'void'. I didn't point this out in class because technically speaking, who knows? C doesn't define anything about the operating system or the real meaning of 'return 0', 'return EXIT_FAILURE', etc., so technically it's /all/ undefined behavior. But in practice, 'int main()' is where it's at, because all C compilers are required to compile that. (5) 'scanf' can also return EOF, which is a negative value, if it hits the end of the input stream. (6) As I pointed out in class, 'int *pi = &x;' where 'x' is not an 'int' actually is not valid C. (Many compilers compile invalid code. It's a more useful default behavior than forcing the user to rewrite the bad part, if it's clear what was meant.) (7) "Some dangers in using pointers": 'void main' should be 'int main'. (8) "First real application" has a couple of unnecessary 'fflush's. And of course all these programs have #included and without needing to. (9) What is a "reference operator"? "Reference type," perhaps, but then, even in C++ references are just sugar-coated C-style pointers, with all the attendant benefits (speed) and dangers (stale references).